A ndre Betim is a registered Clinical Social Worker with experience working with individuals, children and families in academic, clinical, community, and correctional settings.
Experiences include providing suicide and crisis intervention as well as therapy and support services for clients with mental health concerns, trauma, visible minorities, newcomers, low-income and high-risk families, and persons in conflict with the law, including inmates within institutions and on parole.
Academic and professional training include Master of Social Work, Child Studies B.A Honours with a focus in Developmental Psychology and thesis/research work in Attachment; a diploma in Early Childhood Education, certificates in Conflict Management, Occupational Health and Safety Training, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Mental Health First Aid Trainer, and Suicide and Self-Injury Intervention Trainer.
His community involvement includes chair and council member in graduate students’ associations, Board of Directors Staff Rep in Community Health Centre, member of Joint Health and Safety Committee in the workplace, Career & Professional Development Chair in undergraduate program, past membership in various early childhood advocacy associations, facilitator for Transitions Program for International/Exchange Students at Carleton University, and volunteer work in community shelters.
Andre has a strong commitment to ongoing professional development for personal and professional growth.
Continuing Professional Development
- 2018: Advanced Clinical Skills in Suicide Risk Assessment and Management, Dr. Laura S. Guy, PhD, R. Psych, ABPP (Forensic), Correctional Service of Canada, Abbotsford, BC.
- 2018: Narrative Therapy: Re-storying People’s Lives, Brian Dean Williams, MA, RCC, CCC, Correctional Service of Canada, Abbotsford, BC.
- 2017: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Maureen McEvoy, MA, RCC, Correctional Service of Canada, Abbotsford, BC
- 2017: Assessment of Suicide and Self-Injury Risk Within a Correctional Context, Dr. Alana N. Cook, R. Psych, Correctional Service of Canada, Abbotsford, BC
- 2017: Suicide and Self-Injury Refresher Training (SSIRT): Training for Trainers (T4T), Correctional Service of Canada, Abbotsford, BC
- 2016: Healing Shame Conference, Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin, Ottawa, ON
- 2015: Mental Health First Aid Trainer, Ottawa, ON
- 2015: Psychobiological Approach to Couples Therapy–Level I Training, Stan Tatkin, Toronto, ON
- 2015: Emotion Focused Therapy for Complex Relational Trauma Conference, Sandra C. Paivio – Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2015: Attachment-Based Strategies for Healing: Engaging Traumatized Clients Who Avoid Attachment, Closeness and Painful Feelings, Robert T. Muller – The Counselling Group, Ottawa, ON
- 2015: Psychotherapy Networker Symposium: The Colors of Tomorrow, Psychotherapy Networker, Washington, DC
- 2015: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2015: Informed Trauma Care: Theory, Practice, and Lived Experience, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2014: Countertransference–Its Transformation and Effective Use in Therapy, Dr. Augustine Meier, Ottawa, ON
- 2014: Strengths-Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dr. Christine Pedesky, Ottawa, ON
- 2014: Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy, Stan Tatkin, St. Paul University, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Depression and Anxiety, Beck Institute, Philadelphia, USA
- 2013: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Psychosis: New Developments with Douglas Turkington, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Hearing Voices: A Training and Simulation Experience, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Minding the Gaps: Engaging our Partners in Ensuring Continuity of Essential Needs for Veterans Offenders, Correctional Services Canada/Veterans Affairs Canada, Canadian War Museum, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Self-Stigma: Our Experiences and Our Successes, Royal Ottawa Hospital Client Empowerment Council, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: The New Science of Romantic Love: Making Bonds that Last with Dr. Sue Johnson, Capital Choice Counselling Group – St. Paul’s University, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Psychosis, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Schizophrenia–Training, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Mental Status Exam, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Crisis Prevention Institute, Ottawa, ON
- 2012: Accessible Services For Colleges Customer Services Standards, Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- 2011: Conflict Management Certificate, Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- 2011, 2007: Diversity Training Workshop, Coalition of Community Health and Resource Centres of Ottawa
- 2003, 2002: Attachment and Regulation Conference with Dr. Diane Benoit, Ottawa, Ontario
- 1999: Early Childhood Education (Honours), Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- 1999: Focus on the Family Conference–Understanding Children, Ottawa, Ontario
- 1998: National Association For the Education of Young Children Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario